If you feel that your skin appears uneven with dark or dull patches, you may want to explore some of the best body lotions for uneven skin tone and hyperpigmentation.
The discoloration in question can be caused by a number of factors, some of which may resolve on their own (such as the “mask of pregnancy”) and some of which may be responsive to topical treatments.
Dermatologists and other skincare experts generally agree that the best way to reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation—patches or areas of the skin that appear noticeably darker than the surrounding skin—is through exfoliation to remove dead, dull skin cells and then promote the growth of new, fresh, smooth skin cells.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Body Lotions to Even Skin Tone
- 2 What Ingredients Are Good for Uneven Skin Tone?
- 3 FAQ - Body Lotions for Uneven Skin Tone
- 4 Bottom Line: Body Lotions for Uneven Skin Tone
Best Body Lotions to Even Skin Tone
PCA Skin Body Therapy
This is a professional-grade, luxury-level therapeutic treatment designed to even out the skin tone on the body.
It is best suited for normal to dry skin. Users report that it is pleasant to use, with a nice, natural scent. This product contains no fragrance and no synthetic dyes, and it has not been tested on animals.
- Professional-quality product.
- Lactic acid to reduce discoloration and rejuvenate the skin.
- High-quality natural ingredients.
- Time-release system.
- Shea butter, hyaluronic acid, and jojoba for moisture.
- Paraben-free, fragrance-free, cruelty-free.
- High price tag.
- Possible irritation if the skin is very sensitive.
Glytone Exfoliating Body Lotion
This premium beauty product is loaded with 17.5 PFAV glycolic acid (an amount that has been shown to increase cellular turnover and collagen production) and vitamin E. The dual action exfoliates the skin while thoroughly nourishing it.
Users praise the lotion’s thickness and texture, and note that a little can go a long way. They also report that the bottle is well designed and easy to use. There are no added fragrances, and the lotion has a very neutral scent.
- Contains 17.5 PFAV glycolic acid.
- Contains Vitamin E, an antioxidant known to fight signs of aging and nourish the skin.
- Smooths skin texture as well as tone.
- Comes in a premium container.
- Has lovely texture.
- Can sting if it gets in open cut; do not use after shaving.
- May not be suitable for sensitive skin.
Glycolix Elite 15% Body Lotion
This is a professional-quality treatment packed with antioxidants to refresh skin cells and achieve a softer texture and tone. The active ingredients in this product include 15% ultra-pure crystalline glycolic acid (AHA), Vitamins C, E, and A, CoQ10, and green tea extract.
- 15% pure, crystalline glycolic acid to smooth out skin.
- Vitamins and antioxidants to nourish skin and fight free radical damage.
- Budget-friendly skin treatment.
- Professional quality.
- Absorbs quickly.
- Suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin.
- It is not as thick and creamy as others.
Paula’s Choice Retinol Skin-Smoothing Body Treatment
This is a high-end skin-smoothing treatment featuring a combination of retinol, antioxidants, evening primrose oil, and shea butter. These work together to help skin shed dead, dull, dark cells and replace them with new, fresh, and radiant cells.
- Natural, effective ingredients.
- Exfoliating, smoothing, and moisturizing effects.
- Part of a complete skincare line.
- Cruelty-free, fragrance-free.
- Light, smooth texture.
- Medicinal smell.
- Small bottle with a relatively high price tag.
COSMEDIX A-Lift Overnight Vitamin A Body Treatment
This is a premium beauty treatment loaded with Vitamin A and other natural active ingredients, including caffeine, safflower seed oil, bakuchiol, and antioxidants.
- Premium-quality body-specific treatment.
- Promotes even skin tone and appearance.
- Combines two forms of Vitamin A, retinol and retinal.
- Thick, soft cream.
- High concentration of active ingredients.
- Small, pricey tube.
- Relatively new product with little feedback.
What Ingredients Are Good for Uneven Skin Tone?
We all know that Vitamin C can help prevent colds and other bugs, but it’s also fabulous for your skin. It is important for repairing tissues and making essential enzymes, and as an antioxidant, it also protects the skin from free radicals caused by UV exposure.
AHA (glycolic acid, lactic acid)
Retinol is a derivative of Vitamin A that can help accelerate the skin’s cell turnover and renewal process. This helps reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation and evens out the skin tone.
Retinol is effective for sun-induced dark spots, scars, and post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Retinol treatments have been shown to be very effective over time, but they are not an especially quick fix.
FAQ - Body Lotions for Uneven Skin Tone
What Causes Hyperpigmentation on the Body?
How to Prevent Hyperpigmentation?
Hyperpigmentation is bothersome, but it is harmless. Still, it’s not something that most people actively seek out. Some causes of hyperpigmentation are genetic or hormonal in nature, and there’s not much anyone can do about them.
Is Uneven Skin Tone Permanent?
There are different types of hyperpigmentation, which is what causes uneven skin tone. Dermal melanosis, which includes many types of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, is relatively resistant to treatment.
Melasma is typically hormone-related, and it often clears up when the hormones are properly balanced again. Epidermal hyperpigmentation is closest to the surface and the most responsive to topical treatments.
Bottom Line: Body Lotions for Uneven Skin Tone
Consider how much skin you need to treat, whether or not you require rich moisture, and your personal level of comfort.Then pick out one or more to get started with!
Hi, it’s Judy!