Acne tends to occur primarily on the face. However, it also develops in areas of the body with a high concentration of pores and sebaceous glands, such as the back, shoulders, neck, upper arms, and chest.
Luckily, there are several body lotions and moisturizers that work wonders for acne-prone skin to provide it with the hydration it requires while treating existing blemishes and preventing new ones from forming. These body lotions are non-comedogenic, lightweight, and usually come with acne-fighting ingredients such as salicylic acid.
We’ve put together a list of some of the best non-comedogenic body lotions for acne-prone skin to help you decide which one to buy.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Non-Comedogenic Body Lotions for Acne-Prone Skin
- 1.1 CeraVe SA Lotion for Rough and Bumpy Skin
- 1.2 Touch Keratosis Pilaris Treatment with 12% Glycolic Acid & 2% Salicylic Acid
- 1.3 Paula’s Choice Weightless Body Treatment
- 1.4 TreeActiv Acne Eliminating Body Lotion
- 1.5 Glycolix Elite 15% Body Lotion
- 1.6 Also great: Murad Acne Clarifying Body Spray, Step 2 Treat/Repair
- 2 What Are The Best Acne-Fighting Ingredients?
- 3 Other Ways to Treat and Prevent Body Acne
- 4 Conclusion: Body Lotions for Acne-Prone Skin
Best Non-Comedogenic Body Lotions for Acne-Prone Skin
CeraVe SA Lotion for Rough and Bumpy Skin
This body lotion is formulated with salicylic acid for its acne-fighting, exfoliating, and anti-inflammatory properties; hyaluronic acid for its hydration-boosting properties, and lactic acid that helps to gently dissolve dead skin cells.
It also includes a patented technology that allows the constant release of hydrating and exfoliating ingredients.
- Contains salicylic acid, which is known for its acne-fighting properties.
- It also contains hyaluronic acid, which helps the skin retain moisture.
- It is enriched with vitamin D, which helps to fight free radical damage.
- Non-comedogenic, dye-free, fragrance-free, and hypoallergenic.
- Developed with Dermatologists.
- Lightweight formula.
Touch Keratosis Pilaris Treatment with 12% Glycolic Acid & 2% Salicylic Acid
Glycolic acid and salicylic acid also increase cell turnover and collagen production, which is great for acne scars, wrinkles, pigmentation, body acne, and dry skin.
- It contains 12% glycolic acid and 2% salicylic acid.
- Unclogs pores and reduces inflammation.
- It is FDA inspected.
- No drying alcohols, sulfates, phthalates, dyes, or parabens.
Paula’s Choice Weightless Body Treatment
Paula’s Choice RESIST Weightless Body Treatment 2% BHA is an excellent exfoliating body lotion that contains 2% salicylic acid to gently exfoliate and eliminate dead skin layers, treat body acne and blemishes, and boost collagen, leaving you with clearer and healthier-looking skin.
This lotion also includes powerful antioxidants, such as green tea and vitamin E, that will restore moisture and softness and prevent premature skin aging caused by the sun.
- Contains 2% salicylic acid.
- Contains antioxidants that protect the skin and keep it healthy.
- Not greasy.
- Lightweight, yet very hydrating.
- Fragrance and Paraben Free.
- Science-backed formulas.
- Certified Cruelty-Free.
TreeActiv Acne Eliminating Body Lotion
It contains a powerful blend of natural ingredients, minerals, and vitamins that nourish and hydrate your skin while gently treating acne, preventing new breakouts, and removing dark spots and
- Gently heals existing acne.
- Prevents future acne breakouts.
- Calms inflammation and unclogs pores.
- Moisturizes skin to reduce flaking and dryness.
- It is not excellent for people who are sensitive to highly perfumed products.
Glycolix Elite 15% Body Lotion
Glycolix Elite Body Lotion contains 15% pure glycolic acid to help you achieve clear, soft, and healthy-looking skin.
This lightweight, non-comedogenic formula gently exfoliates the skin and keeps breakouts at bay. In addition to glycolic acid, this lotion is also packed with antioxidants, such as vitamins A, C, E, green tea extract, and Co-Q10 to moisturize and soothe your skin, as well as protect it from free radical damage.
- Contains 15% glycolic acid along with a potent blend of antioxidants.
- Suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin.
Also great: Murad Acne Clarifying Body Spray, Step 2 Treat/Repair
Although Murad Acne Clarifying Body Spray is not a lotion, we’ve included it in this list because it is a highly effective treatment for body acne. In addition, it is extremely easy to use as it comes with a 360° spray that makes it easy to reach all areas of the body.
Salicylic acid and retinol work together to balance oil production, treat existing acne blemishes, and prevent new ones from forming. Allantoin and blue lotus extract hydrate, calm, and purify the skin, which assists in preventing chipping and dryness.
- Prevents and clears skin breakouts and blemishes.
- Heals and keeps your skin healthy.
- Powerful antibacterial ingredients clarify and purify skin.
- Certified cruelty-free.
- Parabens, sulfates, and phthalates free.
What Are The Best Acne-Fighting Ingredients?
Salicylic acid: This is a powerful and effective beta-hydroxy acid (BHA) with anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Salicylic acid has the ability to penetrate pores to loosen and exfoliate dead skin cells, which assists in healing acne while preventing future breakouts.
Benzoyl peroxide: This ingredient is known for its ability to kill acne-causing bacteria, exfoliate dead skin cells, and control excess oil.
Azelaic acid: This acne treatment ingredient gently exfoliates dead skin that can block pores and kills the bacteria that are responsible for causing acne.
Tea-tree oil: This is a natural acne-fighter with anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that work effectively for acne.
Sulfur: This is a mineral ingredient that removes inflammation and excess oil and assists in exfoliating dead skin cells.
Clay: Clay is an excellent ingredient in treating acne thanks to its strong anti-inflammatory and exfoliating properties. It helps to absorb oil and impurities and purify the skin.
It also helps tighten the pores and keeps the skin soft and smooth.
Other Ways to Treat and Prevent Body Acne
1. Wash your pillowcase, towels, and bed sheets frequently
Your pillowcase, towels, and bed sheets can accumulate bacteria, dead skin cells, oil, and all sorts of pore-clogging debris, so make sure to wash your pillowcase and bed sheets at least once per week.
Also, try to avoid fragranced laundry detergents and dryer sheets, as they can cause irritation and trigger acne.
2. Use a Body Wash Designed for Acne-Prone Skin
It is recommended to use a body wash that contains salicylic acid or zinc daily to help exfoliate your skin. This will also help minimize inflammation and clear up your acne without drying out your skin.
3. Wear loose clothes with natural fibers
If you have acne-prone skin, then you should avoid tight and itchy fabrics. Instead, wear loose clothes with natural and breathable fabrics, such as cotton; this will help protect your skin from irritation caused by dead skin cells and bacteria.
4. Use a clay mask
Clay masks, especially bentonite clays, are known for their high absorbing power. As such, they are able to pull oil, dead skin cells, and impurities from your skin, and prevent mild forms of acne from forming.
It is recommended to use clay masks weekly. Apply a thick mixture of clay and warm water or apple cider vinegar to help open the pores and pull excess oil and dirt out. We highly recommend Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay.
5. Shower after every workout
Make sure to take a shower after you exercise or after any strenuous activity, as sweat on your skin can cause dirt and bacteria to stick to your skin, which in turn can lead to acne.
6. Eat anti-inflammatory foods
Eating anti-inflammatory foods may help reduce the risk of acne breakouts.
Conclusion: Body Lotions for Acne-Prone Skin
Using a body lotion packed with active acne-fighting ingredients such as salicylic acid is a good skincare step if you want to enjoy clear and smooth skin. As a byproduct, it will also increase the elasticity of your skin, restore its shine, and soothe dry patches.
The list and tips above will help you choose the best non-comedogenic body lotion for acne-prone skin.
Hi, it’s Judy!